Last modified: 2009-08-15 by jarig bakker
Keywords: radlo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flagdescription: three horizontal stripes blue - white - yellow; in
top hoist the left half of a yellow cartwheel.
Coat of Arms: azure a white tree with leaves or in base or; against the stem dexter a half cartwheel or.
Some interesting info from the English pages of the website:
The first written report about Rádlo dates from 1419, when the cloister in Mnichovo Hradištĕ sold Jindřich z Valdštejna, apart from other things, also a parish Rychnov with Rádlo for 500 sixties Czech groschens. Milíře and Dobrá Voda are mentioned as late as 17th century.
Before 1848 Rádlo belonged to dominion Svijany and a parish Rychnov; the settlement Milíře (village Jeřmanice) to dominion Starý Dub and a parish Jeřmanice. Then Rádlo was part of judicial and political district Jablonec n.N., the settlement Milíře, together with Jeřmanice, belonged to political and judicial district of Liberec.
Theresian cadastre gives information about Rádlo, saying that there
were 25 landowners, a mill with a saw mill and the inhabitants made their
own living in agriculture, weaving and cartage service. Rádlo, lying near
to the road from Turnov to Liberec, supplied a considerable amount of corn
to the markets around there. Living was provided also from dense woods,
surrounding Rádlo. In 1675 there was a paperwork on Mohelka in Rádlo, later
Grossmann´s stone-cutting works (no. 222). #Na Mohelce there were also
a few mills, later there was also a brickworks in the village. Until the
first half of the 19th century living in the village was provided also
by spinning and weaving, then also Rádlo got involved into custome-jewellery
manufacture. Beadsblowing and stones cutting spread around the village
(first natural, then glass stones). S.c. "Rádlo´s stones" were well
known. In addition there were 3 butchers in the village, 2 millers, 2 blacksmiths,
5 joiners, 1 wheelwrights, 1 shoemaker, 5 bakers and 17 pubs. In 1939 there
were 35 custome-jewellery makers, 3 butchers, 3 hairdressers, 2 tailors,
4 tobacco shops, 3
bakers, 8 groceries and 16 pubs.
Originally Rádlo was linked with other towns and surroundings through common paths (to Jablonec, Rychnov and Jeřmanice), in 1890 (from 1st.Oct.) it was managed to set up a stop Rádlo on the railway Turnov - Liberec, in 1928 a regular bus line to Jablonec was launched. In 1893 there was built a post office in Rádlo.
Rádlo belonged to the parish Rychnov. Here was built, in the period 1725-26, the Holy Trinity Chapel in the site of a former bell tower (the Holy Trinity Altar was brought here from Rychnov in 1730). In 1829 the chapel was extended with a tower, but in 1931 the chapel with the tower were pulled down and a today´s Holy Trinity Church, designed by the architect Rossler from Jablonec was built here instead. A cemetery was put up in 1853, in 1863 it was consecrated and 10 years later a cemetery chapel was built up. In 1930 was built the World War I memorial on the crossroads to Milíře. In Rádlo used to be a set of statues – s.c. Getseman Garden, provided by a yarn dealer Hubner. These days the statues are placed in the garden of the old parish in Jablonec n. N. (since 1966).
In old times school teaching was connected with a parish and so children from Rádlo went to the parish school in Rychnov and the children from Milíře went to Jeřmanice. In 1783 was set up a class in Rádlo, in 1876 was built up a school building. In 1861 was built a larger school, in 1891 at last an actual building (redeveloped after 1950). A school in Milíře was built up as late as 1883.
Early before World War I there was in 1914 opened a swimming pool with changing rooms and snack, in the period 1927-28 there was set up a sports ground by the swimming pool.
Nowadays look has the village had since 1938, when Milíře, former the settlement of Jeřmanice, was linked to the local part of Milíře in the village Rádlo to make one settlement, which was then connected to the village Rádlo.
The village Rádlo had in 1930 these local parts (in brackets number of houses): Dolní Ves (53), Prostřední Ves(29), Horní Ves (61), Dolní Háje (15), Horní Háje (80), Hájek (6), Dolánky (29), U turka (5), Brandl (2), Milíře (13), a Horní Dobrá Voda with a gamekeeper´s lodge by Dolní Dobrá Voda (21).
Population was until 1945 mostly of the German nationality, (in 1930
only 53 Czechs lived in Rádlo, in Milíře 8 Czechs). The name of the village
Rádlo (in German Radl) is however of the Czech origin – referring to ploughing
tools. Milíře (in German Kohlstadtt) is probably derived from milíře (charcoal
kiln), where wood from surrounding deep woods was burnt. Dobrá Voda derives
its name allegedly from very good and tasteful water, found in the well
by a former pub in Horní Dobrá
Social life used to be very lively here – there were 15 pubs and a number of clubs were active: veterans (established 1871), a book club (1872), theatre club (1879), choral society Harmonia (1871), musical club (1866), club of physical education (1885), firemen´s club (1883), which built in the 20ies even a fire station, economic clubs and number of the other.
Characteristic of current state of the village
Rádlo is a typical suburban village in a core area of the population centre of Liberec between Liberec and Jablonec n.N. close to Rychnov n.N. Thanks to the terrain configuration it has kept a complete autonomous position, though it´s situated on a catchment area of Jablonec n.N., having dominant influence thereon, both by transportation lines system and with regard to people commuting to and from work.
Jarig Bakker, 20 Oct 2007