This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Jílové (Czech Republic)

Decín okres, Usti region

Last modified: 2009-08-15 by jarig bakker
Keywords: jilove |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Flag of Jílové] by Ivan Sache, 1 April 2000
adopted 4 Jun 1998 See also:

Jílové town flag

Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1998) - Jílové, Děčín district, Ústí region - adopted 4 Jun 1998.
The town Jílové is situated on the boundary of the highland called Děčínská vrchovina and the Bohemian Central Highlands (České středohoří), its centre lying at an elevation of 276 m. a. s. l. It incorporates several local parts - Jílové, Kamenná, Martiněves, Modrá, Kamenec and Sněžník. Through the town passes the main road NoI/13 (E 442). Since 1963 Jílové is a town, with 5 255 inhabitants (end of 1998). In June 1998 it was granted its emblem and its flag. From the period before 1300 there is no documentary evidence of the town. It was probably found at the Lusatian trading path following the development of the region around Děčín and Ústí. A record mentions a battle between the Czech duke Soběslav I. and the German Kaiser Lothar III. that took place at the near-by Chlumec in 1126. A legend connects this event also to the hill called Lotarův vrch. The first evidence of the former name of the town - Eulow - dates back to the year 1348, when king Charles IV. accepted by a document, that burghers of Ústí conquered and destroyed probably fortified farmsteads of unnamed landlords in Jílové and its surroundings. Later Jílové belonged to the feud of the castle Lipá (Česká Lípa). In the16th century it became a part of the demesne Blansko, subsequently belonging to the Jílové-branch of the Knights of BŁnau. In 1629 the demesne was sold to the Thun family that resided in Děčín. A certain evidence of a fortified settlement dates back to the year 1554. In the second half of the 17th century it was converted into a ch‚teau. Two centuries later the romantic park was laid out and the classicism pavilion was built. Between 1842 and 1922 the ch‚teau served as a cotton spinning mill. In 1932 Thuns adapted it in neo-renaissance style and seated here till the spring of 1946. The baroque Trinity Church was built in 1682. After being burnt out in1859 it was adapted by using historical elements. The railway line Podmokly - Duchcov leading via Jílové was built in 1871. In the past used names of the town: Eulow, Ylau, Ylauia, Gilow, Eule, Eulau,Jilové.
Jarig Bakker, 1 May 2000

Jílové Coat of Arms

[Jílové Coat of Arms] From the Jílové website.